Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Greene & Greene Solution Oriented, Trial Tested
  • Get In Touch With Us Today

St. Petersburg Modification and Supportive Relationships Lawyer

If you were ordered to pay alimony during a previous divorce, you may have been paying it without ever questioning whether you can modify or terminate the order. If your former spouse, known as the “obligee,” is in a supportive relationship with someone else, such as if they have moved in with someone, it may be grounds to change or terminate the order. Still, determining what constitutes a supportive relationship is not always so clear. A St. Petersburg modification and supportive relationships lawyer can advise on when you can make changes to a previous order.

What is a Supportive Relationship?

According to the Florida Statutes, a supportive relationship is one that takes the financial place, either partly or wholly, of a marriage and reduces the financial need of the obligee, or the person currently receiving alimony. Individuals who pay alimony can petition the court to modify the current order, or to terminate it altogether. When petitioning the court, individuals requesting the modification have the burden of proof to show that a supportive relationship exists. Extensive discovery is also often necessary to meet the high burden of proof that exists.

What Will the Court Consider Before Modifying an Alimony Order?

There are many different factors a court will consider when determining whether to modify or terminate alimony. They are as follows:

  • The extent to which the alimony recipient and the other person have shown they are in a supportive relationship, such as using the same last name, sharing the same address, or referring to each other as their spouse

  • The length of time the alimony recipient and other person have lived together in a permanent residence

  • The extent to which the two parties have combined income, assets, or otherwise shown financial interdependence

  • The extent to which one party in the supportive relationship has supported the other

  • The extent to which the two parties have performed valuable services for one another, or for the other person’s employer or company

  • Whether the two parties have made a joint effort to enhance or create something of value

  • Whether the two parties have jointly purchased personal or real property

  • Any evidence that the two parties have an agreement regarding support or sharing of property

  • Whether either party in the supportive relationship has supported the children of the other party, with or without any legal obligation to do so

Although a supportive marriage does not have to involve a marriage between the two parties, the party requesting a modification or termination of alimony must show there is a relationship equivalent to that of a marriage.

Our Modification and Supportive Relationships Lawyer in St. Petersburg Can Help You Modify Alimony

Although you can modify your alimony order in certain circumstances, our St. Petersburg modification and supportive relationships lawyer at Greene & Greene can give you the best chance of a successful outcome. Call us now at (727) 821-2900 or connect with us online to schedule a consultation with our seasoned attorney and to learn more about how we can help.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation