Switch to ADA Accessible Theme Close Menu
Get In Touch With Us Today 727-821-2900
Home > Areas of Practice > Family Law > Divorce > Parental Relocation

St. Petersburg Parental Relocation Lawyers

A divorce can change your entire life. You may have to move out of the home you have lived in for the past several years, and you may even want to move far away, such as out of state. People move for many different reasons after divorce. They find employment, want to move closer to family, or they are just looking for a fresh start. There is nothing wrong with these reasons but when children are involved and one parent is going to remain in the same area, it becomes a much bigger issue.

Our St. Petersburg parental relocation lawyers are well-versed in the parenting time laws of the state. Whether you want to relocate with your child after divorce, or contest a move, our skilled legal team can help.

What Does “Parental Relocation” Mean?

The term “parental relocation” is defined in the Florida Statutes as one parent moving to a new location with their child that is at least 50 miles from the child’s principal place of residence. In order for a move to be considered a relocation, the parent must move with their child for a minimum of sixty consecutive days. The court will deem the child’s principal place of residence to be the last address known to the court at the time of establishing or modifying the time-sharing order.

When Can a Parent Relocate with a Child?

The law is very clear that parents can only relocate with their child in two circumstances. The first is when the other parent agrees to the relocation and the second is when the court has approved the move. Court approval is only necessary when the other parent does not agree to the relocation.

What to Include in a Relocation Agreement

When the parent who is not relocating and all parties entitled to spend time with the child can agree to the move, they need to put the agreement in writing. The relocation agreement should reflect the fact that all relevant parties have agreed to the move. It should also include the time-sharing schedule showing visit dates, as well as arrangements for transportation.

Filing a Petition to Relocate

In most situations, it is best if both parents can agree to a relocation, but that is not always possible. If the two sides cannot reach an agreement, the parent who wants to move can file a petition to relocate with the court. Once the petition is filed with the court, it is then served to the non-relocating parent. The petition should include as many details as possible, including:

  • The mailing and physical address of the proposed new residence
  • A detailed description of the new proposed residence
  • The date of the proposed move

After being served, the non-relocating parent will have an opportunity to contest the move. If the non-moving parent does not respond to the petition, the court may approve the request to move without a formal hearing.

Contact Our Parental Relocation Lawyers in St. Petersburg Now

If you wish to move with your child, or need to contest a request, our St. Petersburg parental relocation lawyers at Greene & Greene can help you achieve the best possible outcome. Call us now at (727) 821-2900 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn